Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Consider this St. Jude story, donation

This is not my usual travel-related post, but it is related to Memphis' own St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I came in contact with the Atwell family about a year ago through a potential freelance story I was considering that ultimately fell through. I recently received an e-mail from them and thought I would share it here in its entirety.

You can read Katelyn's story at this link, but a quick summary is that in 1999, after being diagnosed with cancer at age 12, she developed an infection in her brain that no one had ever survived for more than 48 hours. She would ultimately spend a year and a half in a coma before recovering.


Dear Family and Friends,
 
I have some great news to share with you. This April 19 will be the 10th Anniversary of the Katelyn Atwell/ St. Jude Golf Classic. The big news is that I will be playing for the very first time in my own tournament. This is a goal that I set 5 years ago and now it will become a reality.

This year we really wanted to make it a big year being the 10th and we had passed
around some ideas. Since the passing of my Uncle Duane I have really made it a mission to honor his memory and try to make this the biggest and best year yet. I have some surprises up my sleeve but there is one that is just too big not to share, check out the web page listed
 
I also had another idea. I was looking at our local Kroger ad and they have this big 10 for 10 sale going on. I wondered if maybe some of my family and friends would be willing to donate $10 for 10 years. The kids at St. Jude depend on every dollar and I know that it would be the best $10 you may spend all year.

So with that in mind if anyone reading this would like to help me please make a check out to St. Jude Children's Hospital and send it to Katelyn Atwell/St Jude Golf Classic 923 Arkenstone Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32225.

Please feel free to send this out to everyone you know. Can you imagine how much we could raise if everyone just sent in $10. I know money is tight and that makes it even harder to raise money, but the kids are still being diagnosed and still need to be cured.

I was reminded yesterday that God spared my life and told me that it would not be easy. I have to put in the hard work in order to continue to heal and get stronger. I have to keep up the fight for the other kids that are in the
middle of their battle. You can make such a huge difference.
 
If anyone knows of a company that might be willing to donate please let me know. I have set a goal to get 10 $1,000 donors. So far I have two with a possible 2 more. I will be willing to contact and send a letter.

Also if there are any of you who would like to golf just let me know I can send a
registration form to you. I would love to have the golf course full. We are already getting some great door prizes. You have been so faithful in supporting all of my efforts to raise money and following me on this journey. I hope you will consider doing it again.
 
Thank you and God Bless
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment