Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

Black History Month Travel Tip of the Day No. 5, 6

I guess I'm being a bit lazy today, but I just devoted a lot of effort to the Lincoln in Springfield President's Day post, so I'm going to cheat a bit. Because Lincoln played such an important role in the eventual freedom for the slaves in the U.S., I figure a couple of sites in his hometown of Springfield, Ill., will serve as Black History Month Travel Tips of the Day.

I say two because these are the ones out of the several Lincoln-related sites in Springfield that played a role in Black History. 

The Lincoln presidential museum has several exhibits related to the Civil War and the Emancipation Proclamation. And at the nearby site of the former state capitol building, Lincoln gave his "House Divided" speech, one of several turning points that would play a role in the eventual freedom for America's slaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment